January 21, 2014

British Invasion celebration & fundraiser (1-19-2014)


Brit Invasion celebration & fundraiser
1-19-2014
Beatles
Dave Clark Five
Hollies
Kinks
Who
 
It was in January 1964, fifty years ago, that the Beatles (and the Dave Clark Five) released their first American 45s, and since many of the KKUP DJs and listeners are of an age to remember the events impact on our musical appreciation we put on a special 24-hour celebration in which I was anxious to participate.  Considering it went up against the two NFL conference championship games (including one with the 49ers), it was received well by our listeners and brought in almost $4,000 to the KKUP coffers, possibly sufficient to make it more than just a onetime event.

Carefully avoiding the groups I will be profiling on my regular show for my half of a three hour show that I shared with One Eyed Jack, who had no such self-imposed restrictions, I had a lot of fun playing the music I was brought up on with one of my favorite people at KKUP.  In order for it to have been any better it would have needed to be much longer because it was extremely difficult to limit these five bands to merely fifteen minute sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment