March 25, 2015


Key to the Highway, J.C. Smith Band CD debut
   3-25-2015
 
So, I got a call Monday from my very good friend Johnnie Cozmic saying he had a CD being released Friday.  Johnnie is special to me because he alternated weeks on this show for over fifteen years, not to mention he is a great guy and an excellent musician who has been able to put together and keep a tight working band.  I’m biased, of course, but I don’t think I’ve seen better stage presence from a front man in quite a while, and if I have I can’t even think who that would have been.
 
Johnnie’s personality comes through also right here at KKUP on Thursdays between three and five PM the first and second weeks of the month (I think).  For his band, he uses his true name as the J.C. Smith Band, but it never seems right when I hear anyone call him anything but Johnnie.  Anyway, he reminded me that I guess it’s become a tradition to debut his CDs on my show going all the way back to his days when he was the drummer for the Back to Back Blues Band, so we will take a three hour hiatus from the British Blues to check the new album out.  Yes, to me an album is a collection of songs (or photos, etc.) so a CD qualifies.   
 
I’ve had the opportunity to watch Johnnie progress as a guitarist and vocalist and increase the quality of the players in his band over the years with each of his releases being better than the previous, but I should warn you he might still have in his arsenal some of the worst jokes to be told and he isn’t embarrassed by telling them, even on the airwaves.  If you like what you hear (the music and the humor), you can catch his official CD release party Friday at the Poor House Bistro on Autumn Avenue near the Shark Tank, likely the last venue in the area dedicated to music every day of the week with almost all of it being the Blues.
 
I will also pay tribute to my mother just six days before what would have been her ninety-fourth birthday by playing some of her favorite music, most of which I purchased for her.  She was born on March 31st, but always said that was a day too early and should have been April Fool’s Day.  She passed away in July.  We’ll play some big band stuff and some Harry Belafonte but I’ll pass on her Perry Como and Dean Martin discs.

Sorry, this is last minute so there is not the usual playlist for today’s show.  Next show, right back to the Brits.

No comments:

Post a Comment